Who your maid of honor is, is a pretty important decision because the maid of honor can end up playing a big role in how smoothly your wedding goes. Most women simply look at who their BFF is at the time of the wedding, but you might want to be a little more particular when choosing who will play that role.
First stop: How involved do you need the maid of honor to be?
This is the first stop because it is probably the most important factor to consider. If your maid of honor will need to take on responsibilities like planning a shower, bachelorette party, attending any and all dress fittings for yourself and your bridesmaids, coordinating the flowers, picking up GiGi from the airport (we could go on and on), then it is really going to narrow down who you should choose as your maid of honor. Once you have determined what you need, consider the following:
- It may not be a good fit if who you want is not yet an adult. One bride said she regretted asking her 16 year old sister to serve as maid of honor. They were close and she didn’t think she needed too much help with the wedding, but she ended up needing more than the sister could handle. Turned out that even the smallest tasks were too much for her. The bride either had to do it completely by herself or be dissapointed.
- This one can be hard because the person that you want to be your maid of honor may just live too far away to help. If you choose to have a maid of honor that lives more than 30 minutes away, just be sure that your expectations are consistent with how hard it will be for her to step up. Some brides will even choose to have co-maids of honor to balance it out.
Second Stop: What emotions are going to be involved?
What we mean by this is that choosing a maid of honor may involve a bit of drama. For example, we had a bride tell us that she really wanted her best friend to be her maid of honor. However she had a childhood friend who wanted to be it too. So when it came to decide, she chose her current best friend and her other friend refused to attend the wedding. This doesn’t mean that you should make your decision around other people’s feelings. It is your wedding. However, it may be a good idea to make sure your aware of any complicated reactions to your choice.
If you are particularly nervous about this possibility, try reading our blog “How to Tell Someone They Won’t be a Bridesmaid” to get some guidance.
With so many pieces and players involved in a wedding, there are bound to be a few mishaps. Never fear! There’s a wedding survival kit and plan to prepare for the “oops”, “oh no”, and “I forgot” wedding emergencies. Here’s what you do:
What is the number one mistake made while wedding planning?
Wedding planning can be stressful. There are so many little details that go into planning the perfect wedding. From the cake topper, to the wedding shoes, brides and grooms comb over every detail to make their wedding day perfect. Sometimes things go wrong. For example, your cake might melt and start to slant because it was put in the sun. Those types of “mistakes” are not however going to make or break the wedding day. This isn’t going to be a list of mistakes a bride can make when planning her wedding day that includes picking the right brides maid gifts. That type of shopping advice can come another day.
White dresses, flower girls, a bridal bouquet, and a speech by the best man are just a few of the many traditions that go hand and hand with the term wedding. While some couples might opt for a less traditional wedding, most brides (and grooms) have dreamt of the traditional “here comes the bride” with roses and a monogramed aisle runner. In the spirit of the traditional wedding couple, let’s take a look at some of the most popular (and most fun) wedding cake traditions!
Number One: Saving the top layer.
This has been a tradition almost as long as having a wedding cake has been a tradition. While the wedding guests are served the bottom layers of the cake, the couples save the top and eats it on their one-year anniversary. Most wedding cake bakers will even provide customers with a box specifically to store the top layer of their wedding cake. This is such a fun wedding tradition that allows couples to savor the magic of their love-filled day.
1. Unique Invitations
Wedding invitations are a guest’s first introduction to a wedding’s personality and many couples are really taking advantage of this opportunity with unique wedding invitations.
Beach Wedding Ideas
Bring the beach theme to your big day! We have compiled our list of a variety of items perfect for any destination beach wedding.
One of our favorite beach wedding ideas is to incorporate seashells any way that you can. We are in love with these adorable seashell placecard holders! Each dainty, shiny shell holds a placecard and doubles as a wedding favor – guests can later use these keepsake shells to hold their own photos! A must have for any beach wedding.
Next up, a unique idea to add some flare to your toes. Instead of being barefoot, consider adding fun foot jewelry for you and your bridesmaids. These are decorated with a mixture of pearls and shiny rhinestones, and are available in a variety of colors and stones. The perfect way to add that extra touch!
A staple in wedding traditions, we have the perfect seashell garter for your beach wedding. This ivory satin and chiffon garter features a chiffon bow and seashell accents, perfect to keep or throw to all your single groomsmen.
Another favorite way to thank your guests for coming is with this seashell bottle opener favor! Each bottle opener is presented in an elegant gift box with a clear top and a raffia tie. A designer tag that reads “Thank you for sharing this day” is included on each favor as well. Consider giving them to all guests, or to your immediate wedding party and family as a special thank you for all they’ve done.
What cake table would be complete with a touch of beach? This seashell wedding cake topper is perfect for any beach theme wedding.
Lastly, add one more tiny touch of seashells to your beach theme wedding with this wedding cake serving set. This set includes one 12″ long cake knife and one 9.5″ long cake server. Both are made of stainless steel with ivory acrylic handles.
No matter what beach you choose, we have all the beach wedding ideas you need to keep your day special. Stay tuned for part 2 with additional items perfect for the beach!
As we have seen these last weeks, marriage ceremonies throughout the world are so different that you will never see exactly the same celebration on any. Each country has different customs and traditions that make their weddings unique. This week, we will be learning about the picturesque Chinese weddings.
Before the process of the wedding starts, an intermediary takes care of all the formalities of the proposal. First they will give one gift to the parents of the bride and the groom and also get the birth information of her so they can investigate. An expert will decide if their marriage will be viable based on astrology. If it is, the groom’s parents will provide details about their son to do the same and compare their astrological chart. If everything goes well, both families will meet and evaluate the agreement.
Once the marriage is decided, they start exchanging gifts between the two families. The parents of the bride are in charge of choosing the date of the wedding. This whole process can take even up to two years.
To prepare for the wedding, the bride will be in a secluded room with her closest friends. During that time, they will sing to cry over the loss of her family. In the meantime, the groom will get the bridal bed installed the day before the wedding. However, they are usually helped by someone who has a lot of children since that is considered to give them luck.
Something very typical about Chinese weddings is color red. Red for them symbolizes love and prosperity. Therefore, it is used in the bride and groom’s gowns, decorations, gifts and much more. The bride, dress in red, will get her hair arranged as a symbol of the initiation of adulthood. Also, she will get a red veil to cover her face and she is taken to her parents as a gratitude sign. Once she is ready, there will be a procession to take her to her future husband’s house. The groom, also in red, will undergo some ceremonies at the altar.
They will the go to enjoy dinner at the bride’s house and at this point, the veil is taken off the bride’s face which, after a series of rituals, represents that the couple is now married. Then, the couple will offer a cup of tea to their respective parents-in-law to signify they have become one family. After that, the bride receives her wedding gift. A red envelope with money.
Finally, the wedding celebration ends with a huge feast accompanied with fireworks, cigars and confetti.
Continuing with our series about Weddings from the World, this week we have chosen to talk about Armenian marriages. Armenian weddings are full of personality thanks to its wide variety of traditions, customs, dances and music which makes them exceptionally different to what we are accustomed to.
Before the wedding, the future husband’s family will house the future wife and ask her father for permission to let the relationship continue. Once they get permission, the future groom gives the future bride the engagement ring. To celebrate, they toast with Armenian cognac and they even hold an engagement party hosted by the girl’s parents.
Unlike other cultures, in Armenian, the family of the groom are the ones in charge of paying the wedding costs. The celebration will start will a lot of rituals the evening before the religious wedding, let’s go through them:
- Late at night, the groom, family and friends will go to the bride’s house to deliver the veil she will wear during the wedding. They will play music, dance and bring gifts. While they are celebrating, they steal the shoes that the bride will wear on the wedding ceremony which symbolizes how the girl will be taken away from her family. To recover the shoes, the best man and maid of honor must pay a ransom.
- The day of the wedding, the groom and his family will take the wedding dress to the bride and will ask the father permission for her to wear it.
- The brother or the closest male to the bride, will put her shoes on and place money inside to wish her luck and fortune.
- Before putting her veil on, the bride will pass it over the bridesmaids head to wish them luck in finding good husbands. Then, a happily married woman will put her the veil on to have good luck.
- Since the bridesmaids are single, the wedding day they will write their names on the right sole of the bride’s shoe. Once the party is over, the bride will check her sole and that name which can still be read, will be the next to get married.
- Green and red ribbons are placed by his mom on the groom’s jacket to symbolize happiness, promises, health and wellness.
The Religious Wedding
During the ceremony, the priest will bless the rings and then put the hands of the couple together to represent their union. The couples make their vows and promise to support and commit to each other. The best man will lift a cross over their heads to legitimize their union. After that, the priest puts their forehands together to represent that even if they might have different opinions, they must agree based on trust, love and solidarity. Also, the couple gets crowned to symbolize their power and authority while taking the lead in their home. Finally, the priest will pray, they drink a glass of blessed wine and commit to live their lives as one.
- When they leave the church, two doves are released to wish the, happiness and love. In the meantime, guests will throw flowers and petals to the couple.
- Before celebrating, the couple will break decorated plates at the entrance of the venue. This ward off evil spirits as well as negative energies. They also do it before they enter their new home.
- When they enter, the go under an arch made of flowers which symbolizes happiness and prosperity.
- To welcome the couple, the guests will have colored scarves (usually red and green as the groom’s ribbons) and they will wave them while dancing.
- Finally, we have the shabash which consist on throwing money and coins to the couple to wish them fortune, wealth and good luck.
Tips for Short Brides
A woman should always wear what best suits her body and the wedding day must not be an exception. If you want to look stunning at your big day, make sure you choose the right dress for your body. Here are some tips for short brides to take into account when buying the dress and preparing your wedding look.download film Steve Jobs now
- The first thing you should take into account is volume. When you are short, you should avoid a lot of volume and instead, go for a tube or mermaid cut dress. The tightest your dress is, the taller you will look. In case you want to have a little volume on your dress, we recommend you to wear an A-line one.
- A dress with jewel details is also a great choice. The only thing you must take into account is that the jewelry must never be below your hips and of course, you should not abuse them; otherwise, the effect will not be as desired.
- When you are to choose the color, go for only one shade. Combining colors or shades will actually make you look shorter and that is what we want to avoid. Also, try not to choose a dress with prints.
- Elude any round-necked dress, it will not favor you at all. Instead choose a V-neckline which not only stylize your shoulders and neck, but it will only make you seem taller. Don’t be afraid of wearing a cleavage, it will definitely flatter your figure.
- As a bride to be, you may probably be dreaming with a long tail or vail. However, we are afraid to tell you that in your case, this is not a good idea as it will emphasize your height. Instead of a veil, you could wear a beautiful headdress which will make you look elegant and even taller.
- Stay away from big accessories. You could wear whatever you like but of an average size so you do not overdo your look.
- Shoes are your best allies when you are short. Therefore, do not be afraid to wear high heels. The higher they are, the higher you will look. Of course, do not compromise comfort. Choose high heels that you know you will be able to carry all day without ending up walking weird or with a terrible feet pain.
- Finally, a great tip to get a couple additional centimeters is with your hairstyle. Bet for high ponytails or buns. These will not only make you look elegant but also taller.
Hopefully, these tips will help you looks even better for your special day. Good luck!