First off, porcelain is porcelain. There isn’t good or bad; just different kinds. When it comes to cake toppers, what you are going to want to look for is how the figurine is made.
- Is it Porcelain?: First, you are going to want to check the material the cake topper you are buying is made out of. This will often be in the item description. Some of the most popular materials cake toppers are made of are porcelain, resin, & acrylic.
- Look at the hands and ears: Porcelain cake toppers are made from molds. After being used for a long time, molds lose their ability to produce detailed figurines. If the hands and ears look more like blobs or you can’t distinguish fingers or the curve of the ear, it means the manufacturer has been using a mold for too long.
- The Paint Job: If a maker is not paying attention to the detail, there may be some mess ups with the paint. It would be more obvious with ethnic figurines, but a lower quality porcelain topper may have the paint intended for the skin, on the white wedding dress. This, of course, should not be happening!
- It’s in the details!!: Some cake toppers are going to be better than others based solely on the little details. Take the one featured above; part of what makes it so great is the Swarovski crystal that is used as hair accessories and on the wedding band. If a figurine is offering special ornamental motifs like this, you are looking at a porcelain cake topper of higher quality.
- Honestly, you are going to get what you pay for: Unless there is an amazing sale, it is likely that the price of the porcelain cake topper is going to reflect the quality of time and attention that is given to that piece. So if you are spending $50 on a cake topper it is going to be worth that $50, just like if you are paying $100 or if you are paying $20.
If you are shopping online, you are not going to be able to tell what the quality of your individual topper is. Keep in mind that the cake toppers featured in the photos are from the very first time the mold is used, and represent the maker’s best work. Often, return policies on wedding accessories can be strict, so you are going to want to pay attention to your shop’s return policy.
At Wedding Collectibles, we sell from a wide range of wedding cake toppers from different manufactures, and do our best to provide you with the best cake toppers, but also provide options to some that may have more affordable prices. If you have your eye on one of the cake toppers we sell, take a look at our return policy by following the link here.
If you have any further questions of how to judge if your cake topper is of high quality, feel free to ask below or give us a call!